Thursday, April 11, 2013

Strawberry Blueberry Replacement "Syrup"

So, I've been on a little pancake fix lately. Gluten-free and dairy free of course ;)

I'm blaming it on all the studying and overworking myself at school. My brain is craving the carbs in the mornings!

Anyway, I've finally found a good gluten-free pancake recipe...well at least the flour, because the weird  GF flours I've been trying is what was ruining the taste on everything. But I just kept putting up with it and covering it up for the sake of my small college student budget. (You pay for quality, I guess!)

Pamela's is THE BEST! My mom made GF Christmas cookies with another one of her flours, and they tasted just like the gluten-full ones! MMMM! So, I'm sold! 

SO GLAD, this was on sale the other day at Sprout's! Even if it weren't, it's worth the extra $2 for treats!

Here is the recipe I've decided I like...I might be tweaking it a little more, but we'll see when I have time for more morning kitchen experiments!

Dry ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I used corn starch instead because of the metals in baking powder)
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup milk (I chose rice milk, but usually choose almond milk)
1 cup water (I just did double the milk instead, since rice milk is watery anyway)
2 organic free-range eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons organic coconut oil (I did extra virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoon honey or raw agave nectar (I used xylitol, since I've been experimenting with it's taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (or one more teaspoon vanilla)

Mix the wet ingredients together, pour in the dry, and cook 'em up!

For the original Gluten-Free Pancake Recipe that I adjusted my recipe from, click the link!

Here is the xylitol I mentioned to replace the other sweeteners. Sometimes, I have issues with my hypoglycemia, and this is the first time I've tried low glycemic sugar in my food. I wanted to try Stevia first (the organic kind, not the one they add weird things to), but they were out of it at the store. It's not the calories I'm concerned, it's the glycemic index I'm trying to keep low. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, so I'll have to try it out on more things and do some more research on it!

Speaking of lower glycemic index sweeteners, we're always out of syrup whenever we're craving pancakes. I'm not a huge fan of eating a lot of syrup anyway, so one day when we were out of syrup, I made my own strawberry-blueberry "syrup" replacement. 

It's easy!

Pick the fruits you'd like to add on top of your pancakes (or whatever else you'd like), chop them up and put them in a pot. I picked strawberries and blueberries this time.

 Boil the fruits on high for 5-10 minutes...depending on how much there is. Add a tablespoon or two of sugar (or xylitol!) once it starts to becoming more liquid, to add more sweetness. You can mass up the fruits more to get rid of the chunks, but i was lazy this time.

 Add it to the top of your pancakes and that's it!

We're addicted! I almost prefer this over maple syrup! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment