Friday, April 26, 2013

GF Pasta Primavera with Chicken

For one of my projects for nutrition class, we had to make a "healthy" recipe. I was expecting him to be tricky and make all the parameters really challenging. It was the complete opposite, haha.

The recipe had to be:
-less than 1000 calories
-less than 25 grams of fats
-less than 3 grams of saturated fats
-less than 1000 milligrams of sodium
-greater than 6 grams of fiber
ALL IN ONE SERVING!

It amazes me that this is suppose to be considered a challenge in our society? Less than 1000 calories?!
Sometimes I am so disappointed in the health and nutrition education in our societies...sigh.

So, because I had so much wiggle room for the "light and healthy" dinner recipe, I decided to do a gluten-free Italian splurge ;)

Gluten-Free Pasta Primavera with Chicken
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup rice pasta
  • 8 oz chicken breast
  • 1 cup carrots
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1 cup mushrooms
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove
Preparation:
  1. Boil a medium-size pot of water
  2. When water is boiling, pour pasta in the water and boil for 10 minutes.
  3. Cook chicken breast on a pan with garlic & pepper on medium heat for 7-10 minutes, flipping half way through.
  4. While pasta is cooking, chop up the carrots, mushrooms, and broccoli into thin slices.
  5. Steam the vegetables on a pan or pot with minced clove of garlic.
  6. After pasta is done cooking, strain out the water, and pour the vegetables and chicken over the pasta and combine together on low heat for 5-10 minutes with olive oil until ready to serve!

So that's it! A really BIG serving of pasta for:
(Haha realistically, this could have fed both Dalton and me comfortably)
21 grams of fat
111 carbs (a LOT I know, but he didn't specify, so I just made it easy on myself and went big, haha)
58 grams of protein
865 calories
2 grams of saturated fat
14 grams of fibers
11 sugars
750 grams of sodium

I kinda challenged the system and picked a "less healthy" meal that I would usually eat for the healthy assignment...but that was for my personal entertainment, haha

It's definitely a good carbo-loading meal to get ready for a bike hike or heavy work out day though! 
:)

[This is obviously not the whole amount for my "one healthy serving", haha]

No comments:

Post a Comment